Makes: about 100 small ones
Preparation: 1 hour (+ 30 minutes chilling; + icing)
Cooking: 25 minutes
140 g icing sugar
100 g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
420 g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon anise
1 teaspoon star anise
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 egg white, at room temperature
200 g icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
small pinch of salt
- Beat the eggs, butter and sugar in a large bowl until well combined. Add the spices, honey and flour with baking soda and combine thoroughly. Knead until smooth, wrap in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 3 mm. Use pastry cutters to cut the pastry into shapes of your liking, transfer to a tray lined with a baking paper. Repeat until all the remaining pastry is used.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until the biscuits are golden. Brush the hot biscuits with a lightly whisked egg and cool completely.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl with a small pinch of salt. Add the egg white and lemon juice and beat well until very thick and glossy.
- Spoon into a piping bag and pipe the mixture onto the cooled biscuits.
- Set aside until the icing sets.