Makes: about 20
Preparation: 30 minutes (+ 1 hour 15 minutes proving)
Cooking: 20 minutes
500 g plain flour
40 g caster sugar
250 ml lukewarm milk
14 g dried yeast
40 g butter, at room temperature
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons rum
pinch of salt
200 g strawberry jam
1L vegetable oil
- Combine the milk with a tablespoon of sugar in a bowl, sprinkle over the yeast, and cover with a tea towel. Set aside for about 15 minutes until foamy.
- Whisk the remaining sugar with butter, gradually add the egg yolks, whisking well after each addition. Combine with the yeast mixture, rum, salt and flour and knead until a smooth, soft and elastic dough forms. Sprinkle with a little flour, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm and divide in half. Use a rounded glass to cut into, but not through the dough of one half of mixture; then cut circles through the dough over the second half of the mix. Spoon the jam onto the uncut circles, cover with cut dough circles. Cut through both layers of dough to form a sealed doughnut.
- Place on a lightly floured surface, cover with a tea towel and set aside for 15 minutes to let them rise a little more.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Drop a little of remaining dough into the oil to check the temperature (should turn golden in about 30 seconds). Fry the doughnuts, in batches, for 2 minutes on one side covered with a lid, then for another 2 minutes (or until golden and cooked through) on the other side uncovered. Transfer to a bowl with paper towels to drain and cool. Sprinkle the icing sugar over each.