Preparation: 20 minutes (+ 3 hours proving)
Cooking: 50 minutes
150 g potatoes
500 g plain flour
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
3 teaspoons salt
225 ml cold water
7 g dried yeast
- Place the water in refrigerator to cool down.
- Cook the potatoes with the skin in salted water, about 20 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, peel and mash potatoes with a fork or grater.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and thoroughly mix in the salt and yeast. Add the olive oil, balsamic glaze, potato mash and water to create sticky dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for at least 10 minutes or until a smooth and elastic dough forms. Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle. Cut into three strips and twist each strip to create the baguette shape. Place the baguettes on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C and place a heatproof bowl with hot water on the bottom of the oven to create steam.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°C and bake for further 20 minutes. In the middle of baking time turn around the tray so the baguettes bake evenly.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool down completely before serving.