Preparation: 40 minutes (+ 1 hour 30 minutes chilling)
Baking: 50 minutes
225 g plain flour
30 g icing sugar
125 g unsalted butter, chopped
pinch of salt
5 eggs, at room temperature
210 g caster sugar
60 ml passionfruit pulp
60 ml lime juice
zest of 1 lime, finely grated
150 ml whipping cream
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, to serve
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour with icing sugar into a bowl. Add salt and chopped butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter in to create fine crumbs.
- Lightly whisk the egg and add to the crumbs. Create a soft but not sticky dough. Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and lightly grease a 24 cm tart tin.
- Roll out the pastry between two sheets of baking paper. Carefully ease the pastry into the tin. Trim any overhanging pastry by rolling the rolling pin over the top of the tin. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Line the pastry shell with baking paper, fill with baking beads (rice or beans can be used instead) and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking beads and bake for further 10 minutes until light golden.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and lime zest together in a bowl. Add the lime juice, passionfruit pulp and cream and whisk until well combined.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C.
- Pour the filling into the pastry shell, return to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until just set in the centre. Cool to room temperature before cutting and serve with vanilla ice cream or cream.