Preparation: 15 minutes
Baking: 45 – 50 minutes (+ cooling)
3 eggs, separated
240 g continental flour
200 g caster sugar
200 ml vegetable oil
250 ml lukewarm water
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160℃ and grease and flour a babka tin.
- Place the sugar, flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the yolks, lemon zest, water, oil and vanilla and combine well.
- In a second bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold through the batter mixture.
- Pour half of the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Add the cocoa into the remaining mixture, combine thoroughly and pour over the light mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then increase the oven to 180℃ and bake further 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack, upside-down, cover the tin with a wet tea towel and allow to cool. This will help the babka come out easily. Once cooled, remove the tin, dust with the icing sugar and serve.