with strawberry jam and sour cream
Makes: 1 roll
Preparation: 25 minutes (+ cooling)
Baking: 10 minutes
4 eggs, separated
100 g caster sugar
100 g plain flour, sifted
2 tablespoons milk, hot
pinch of salt
icing sugar for dusting
180 ml whipping cream
150 g sour cream
2 tablespoons icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
200 g strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 200℃, line a baking tray (37 x 24 cm) with a piece of non-stick baking paper and lightly grease.
- Whisk the egg whites with the salt in a dry, clean bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually start adding the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the yolks, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Continue whisking for 5 minutes or until the mixture is pale and thick. Add the hot milk and sifted flour and gently fold together until combined.
- Spread out the mixture onto the prepared tray using a spatula or a palette knife to smooth the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until just golden. Use a skewer to insert into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the sponge is ready.
- Place a sheet of baking paper onto a work surface and dust it with icing sugar. Turn the hot sponge straight onto the baking paper and peel off the top sheet of baking paper. While still hot, gently roll the sponge and set aside to cool completely.
- Whip the cream until very thick (avoid overbeating the cream). Add the sour cream, sugar and lemon juice and whisk together.
- Unroll the sponge, spread with the jam and prepared filling and re-roll tightly. Dust with icing sugar before serving.