with wholemeal pastry
Preparation: 35 minutes (+ 30 minutes chilling)
Baking: 20 – 25 minutes
120 g wholemeal flour
20 g icing sugar
60 g unsalted butter, chopped
2-3 tablespoons water
100 g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
20 g unsalted butter
4 tablespoons golden syrup
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1 egg, lightly whisked
- Place the flour with sugar into a bowl. Add the chopped butter and water and create a dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide the pastry into 16 portions, roll each piece into a ball and press into a small pie tin, spreading the mixture with your fingertips to cover the entire base and sides. Cut off any overhanging pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- In a small sauce pan melt the butter, then add the golden syrup, cinnamon and egg and stir until well combined.
- Divide the cashew nuts among the pastry shells, pour over the filling and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the golden and the pastry is cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.