Leavened dough buns are traditionally filled with plum jam (Povidla/ Powidl), poppy seeds or curd. They are made individually, baked in one dish so they stick together but after baking can be separated easily without using a knife.
Powidl (Czech Povidla) is a plum stew which is cooked for hours in order to achieve the distinguishing sweetness and consistency. In Australia, Povidla are available from markets or special grocery stores (such as Polish or Bulgarian).
Makes: app. 25
Preparation: 1 hour (+ 1 hour 30 minutes prooving)
Baking: 30 minutes
500g plain flour
250ml milk, warm
14g dried yeast
100g butter, melted
2 egg yolks
zest of one lemon
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon rum
450g Powidl (Or other sort of jam)
50g butter, melted, for brushing
- Place the warm milk (careful, the milk can’t be too hot or it will retard the yeast and the dough won’t rise) with a spoon of caster sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the yeast and set aside for 15 minutes or until foamy.
- In a second bowl, combine the flour, rest of sugar, salt and lemon zest. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the yeast mixture, yolks, rum and melted butter (again, can’t be too hot). First stir with a wooden spoon, then with your hands and form a soft, sticky dough. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly floured bowl, sprinkle the top with flour, cover with a tea towel/ plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 1.5 cm. Use a pastry cutter or a round glass to cut the pastry into circles. Repeat until all the remaining dough is used.
- Grease a large baking dish with butter.
- Place about a teaspoon of Powidl onto each round of dough and pinch the dough together to seal the filling. Put the buns seam-side down into the prepared baking dish, quite close to each other, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170℃.
- Brush the buns with the melted butter and bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool slightly in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving.