I managed to go home for dad’s birthday this year so I decided to make him a cake. The original idea was to make a simple naked (without frosting) cake with berries but as I went it became this delicious sponge cake with coconut. Plan your baking in advance so you can chill the cake overnight in the fridge.
Preparation: 1 hour 30 minutes (+ cooling and overnight chilling)
Baking: 40 minutes
6 eggs, separated
150g plain flour, sifted
50g desiccated coconut, plus extra for coating
60g butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
300g blueberries, plus some extra for topping
juice from ½ lemon
2 tablespoons water
200g sour cream
180ml whipping cream
zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 170°C Line a spring form (23cm in diameter) with baking paper and grease with butter.
- Beat the egg whites with half of the sugar until stiff and glossy and it forms stable peaks.
- In a second bowl, beat the yolks with the remaining sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Combine both mixtures, add the zest, vanilla, coconut and flour and create a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes. Then lower the temperature in the oven to 150°C and bake for further 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then run a knife around the edges to loosen it a bit and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and water into a small saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer over a low heat until the blueberries are very soft and the mixture thickens.
- Whip the cream until very thick (but avoid overbeating the cream).
- In a second bowl, beat the mascarpone, sour cream and sugar until smooth. Add the cream and zest and gently fold to combine.
- Cut the cake horizontally into thirds. Brush the first layer with a half of the jam, top with a third of the icing and cover with the second layer. Repeat the process once again. Spread the top and sides with the remaining frosting and cote with the extra coconut.
- Allow to chill in the fridge overnight.
- Just before serving, top with extra blueberries and dust with icing sugar.