Does it ever happen to you that you read a recipe from a healthy cookbook and you’re missing some ingredients but you really want to try that recipe anyway? This seems to be happening me fairly often and sometimes it actually leads to new delicious creations just like this cake. Once baked, keep at room temperature as storing it in the fridge makes the coconut oil harden.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Baking: 35 minutes
60g maple syrup
130g coconut oil, softened
250g almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
4 tsp poppyseed
zest of 2 lemons
50g dark chocolate, for topping
1 tsp of coconut oil, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease a square tin (20x20cm) with coconut oil.
- Whisk the eggs with maple syrup until light and fluffy.
- In a second bowl, combine the almond meal with softened coconut oil, add the egg mixture and whisk until combined. Add the lemon zest, poppyseed and baking powder and whisk to create a homogenous batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake about 35 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cake cooled down, prepare the topping. Place the chocolate with a teaspoon of coconut oil into a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth and well combined. Transfer into a piping bag and top the cake.